Tell Blue Star Families Your Favorite Books for the Month of the Military Child
Books on Bases essay contest for military kids to run during April.
Military families love to read! One of the greatest gifts parents can give their children is the ability to read and Blue Star Families
, wants to know what books your military family is reading together. If you are a military child, this is your chance to share your family’s favorite book and win great prizes!
Since 1986 April has been designated the Month of the Military Child. So throughout April, Blue Star Families will be holding an essay contest for military children in kindergarten through fifth grade. Just answer the question, “What is your favorite book to read ALOUD as a family and why?” We’ll select four winners at the end of the month and you could win a Barnes & Noble Nook, a set of 20 new books, a webcam, a certificate for a free book from Be There Bedtime Stories, and a certificate of achievement.
The contest is open to military children kindergarten through fifth grade. Who qualifies as a military child? Any child who has a parent or sibling (including step-parents and siblings) serving on Active Duty, in the Reserves or in the National Guard.
Visit http://bluestarfam.org/essaycontest for more details and the full rules, terms, and conditions.
How to Enter:
Have your child write a paragraph that is up to 100 words in length that answers the question: What is your favorite book to read ALOUD as a family and why?
- Become a member of Blue Star Families at www.BlueStarFam.org/join.
- Email us your child's essay to email@example.com
- Include your name, state of legal residence, email and phone number, as well as your child's name and grade level
- Word, PDF and JPEG files accepted.
- Have your child's entry to us no later than 11:59pm EST on April 28, 2012.
Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Tip: If you add "CONTEST QUESTION" in the subject line, we can process your message faster.
Winners will be selected by our panel of judges from Blue Star Families. One winner will be selected from each of the three grade categories listed below, along with an additional grand prize winner. Winners will be announced by May 10, 2012.
Each winner will receive a Barnes & Nobel Nook, a set of 20 NEW books in assorted titles, a webcam, certificate for a free book from Be There Bedtime Stories, and a Certificate of Achievement.
- All entries must be written by a child in grades K through 5 with a parent or sibling (including step-parents and siblings) serving on Active Duty, in the Reserves or in the National Guard.
- Submissions must be received at email@example.com by 11:59pm EST on April 28, 2012. Winners will be announced by May 10, 2012 on the Blue Star Families website and Facebook page. Winners will also be notified via email.
- Submissions must be received from a parent or custodian of the writer. The parent must be a member of Blue Star Families (verified in the Blue Star Families membership database) and be at least 18 years of age. Join Blue Star Families at www.BlueStarFam.org/join
- Submissions will be sorted into the following grade level categories: Grades K-1; Grades 2-3; Grade 4-5
- All entries must be the work of the child
- Winning entries will be featured on the Blue Star Families Blog and Website.
Terms: By submitting writings to Blue Star Families, you are warranting that your child is the creator of the work. You also grant Blue Star Families the right to publish any submission, including writings, videos and photographs on the Blue Star Families website. You further indicate that your work will always be credited to the name included with your submission. We will withhold your child's last name from publication upon your written request.
Only one entry per military child is allowed. Parents may submit an entry on behalf of more than one child. Parents must be 18 years of age to submit an entry. Contest ends April 28, 2012. The winners will be announced by May 10, 2012. Winners will be notified via email and announced on the Blue Star Families blog at http://bluestarfam.org/blog. You must currently reside in the United States to enter.
No purchase is necessary and you may enter the drawing without writing an essay by sending a 3x5 card labeled with "BSF Military Family Essay Contest" to Blue Star Families, PO Box 322, Falls Church, VA 22040 by the contest entry date. You must include your full name, date of birth and a contact phone number or email on the 3x5 card. Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only residents of the United States may enter. Void where prohibited.