Diversity & Inclusion
In the United States, there is a renewed focus on the need to ensure a more equitable future, and the military community has been no exception. All military and Veteran families deserve to feel that they belong, that they are appreciated, and that they are welcome.
Policies and programs that support diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity in the military can enhance the services’ ability to attract, recruit, and retain top talent.
Blue Star Families supports policies that would celebrate the diversity of America's armed forces and ensure all service members and their families feel a sense of belonging to their communities.
- Foster an inclusive military culture that honors, values, and respects diversity
- Amend the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) to include non-discrimination protections on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation
- Review and correct records of service members discharged due to their sexual orientation
- Ensure LGBTQ+ service members have access to equitable, gender-affirming, and culturally-competent health care
- Establish a special prosecutors office within the DoD that is independent from the chain of command
- Protect Veterans and military-connected family members from deportation and review cases of individuals who have been deported for possible return to the United States
- Protect critical programs like Parole in Place and Deferred Action for undocumented family members of service members
- Restart the Military Accessions Vital to the National Interest (MAVNI) program, which recruited non-citizens with specialized skills or language abilities, paired with appropriate security and counterintelligence protections
- Make it easier for non-citizens who serve honorably in the military and their families to naturalize and become citizens