In Collaboration With
The 13th annual Military Family Lifestyle Survey, taken from May to July 2022, captured experiences of over 9,300 respondents worldwide and generated millions of data points. It remains the largest and most comprehensive survey of active-duty, National Guard, and Reserve service members, Veterans, and their families.
listen and learn
Did you miss part of the 2022 Military Family Lifestyle Survey results release event? Are you looking to catch up on the conversations? Press play on the videos below.
DAY 1 - Main Event
Hear leaders and families discuss the most pressing issues military- and Veteran-connected families are facing today in a fireside chat and panel discussion format.
DAY 2 - Data Deep Dive: Addressing the Recruitment Crisis
DAY 2 - Data Deep Dive: Supporting Families
MFLS Opening Video
CNN Anchor Brianna Keilar shares the origin of the Military Family Lifestyle survey and why it continues.
Importance of Programming Video
Discover the influence and reason for the programs we create at Blue Star Families.
Policy Impact Video
The results of the Military Family Lifestyle Survey impact many of the legislative calls for military policy changes we see today.
What Does the DAta Say
2022 Survey Findings Summary
“In order to work, I need full-time child care. But child care was expensive and it didn’t make sense. Next year both my kids will attend public school.”
- Active-Duty Navy Spouse
MEDIA & PARTNERSHIP INQUIRIES
If you are a member of the media or a nonprofit organization that supports military- and Veteran-connected communities and you are interested in partnering with Blue Star Families to promote this research, contact [email protected].
Funding for the 2022 Military Family Lifestyle Survey is provided through the generosity of our presenting sponsor The USAA Foundation, Inc. and from supporting sponsors Lockheed Martin, Craig Newmark Philanthropies, Macy’s Inc., AARP, BAE Systems, Northrop Grumman, American Council of Life Insurers, and Pratt & Whitney.
Funding for this essential research is provided through the generosity of our sponsors. If you are interested in funding further research, use the button below.
Executive Summary (PDF)
Comprehensive Infographic (PDF)
Comprehensive Report (PDF)
Respondents & Methodology (PDF)
Spanish-Language Respondents (PDF)
From the Department of Applied Research at Blue Star Families in collaboration with The D'Aniello Institute for Veterans & Military Families, Syracuse University (IVMF).
Blue Star Families
- Jessica D. Strong, Ph.D. Senior Director of Applied Research
- Roger Brooks, M.A. Associate Director of Research
- Brooke Blaalid, MSW Associate Director of Policy
- Karly M. Howell, M.A. Senior Research Manager
- Ana C. Jackson, MSW Evaluation Manager
- Ashley B. Scott Policy and Innovation Coordinator
- Esmeralda Gloria Policy Fellow
- Kim D. Hunt, Ph.D. Senior Applied Research Analyst Consultant
- Kristen A. Higgason Applied Research Assistant Consultant
- Jessica Moser Spanish Translation Consultant
The D'Aniello Institute for Veterans and Military Families, Syracuse University
- Rosalinda Vasquez Maury, M.S. Director of Applied Research and Analytics
- Rachel K. Linsner, M.S. Research Associate
- Jeanette Yih Harvie, Ph.D. Research Associate
- Mariah Brennan Nanni, M.P.A. Doctoral Research Fellow